IPL Photofacial™ is a revolutionary method using Intense Pulsed Light to stimulate collagen, minimize sun damage, brown spots, age spots, discoloration and rosacea- like skin tones. A series of treatments can improve your skin’s texture, tone and appearance. A fresh youthful glow as a result, taking years off your appearance!
About IPL Photofacial™
What is IPL Photofacial™?
IPL Photofacial™ is a remarkable renovation technology utilizing Intense Pulsed Light (IPL), to improve the appearance of photo-aged skin on the face and body with minimal to no down time. IPL can remove or soften broken capillaries, age spots, and stimulate collagen creating smoother and brighter looking skin. IPL Photofacial™ helps restore a more youthful appearance, leaving skin more clear and healthy looking. You will notice a more radiant, healthier complexion as imperfections fade away. Maximum results in a series.
How is IPL Photofacial™ performed?
A cold gel is applied to the area to be treated. Goggles are worn to protect your eyes from the bright light. IPL Photofacial™ utilizes a non-laser medical device that delivers a series of gentle pulses of visible light onto the surface of your skin. The smooth glass surface of the IPL hand piece is gently applied to your skin while pulses of light are emitted. You may feel a slight sting, like the snapping of a small rubber band. Treatment parameters are selected to achieve desired results based on your skin color and amount of correction needed. Upon assessing the degree of skin damage, specific settings are selected by a certified technician to customize IPL Photofacial™ treatment for best results. Treatments generally take about 30 minutes.
What areas can IPL Photofacial™ treat?
Virtually any part of your body with uneven skin tone, diffuse redness, or sun and age spots can be safely treated. The face, chest, shoulders and arms are the most popular areas for IPL Photofacial™ treatment because they have typically had the most sun exposure. Discreet brown spots, excessively ruddy complexions, and skin densely covered with freckles respond well to IPL FotoFacial™ treatment.
How many IPL Photofacial™ treatments will I need?
On average, 4 to 6 IPL Photofacial™ treatments are recommended, scheduled as early as three-week intervals. Each IPL Photofacial™ session usually lasts about 30 minutes, with patients returning to normal activity immediately afterwards.
What happens after IPL Photofacial™ treatment?
Immediately following an IPL Photofacial™ treatment, you may notice a slight reddening of the surrounding skin which typically subsides within a couple of hours. Signs of sun damage and age spots temporarily darken, but over the course of the next one to three weeks, darkened spots will fade and flake off, and your mottled complexion will clear.
When will I see results?
Weeks after your IPL Photofacial™ treatment, your complexion will be more clear and younger looking. IPL Photofacial™ provides gradual, natural improvement with excellent long-term results. You will notice a reduction in redness, flushing and dilated capillaries and your skin will look healthier. Sun damage, fine lines, pore size, freckling and irregular pigmentation is minimized. We suggest you minimize direct sun exposure, protect your skin with SPF 30 using ingredients Zinc Oxide and /or Titanium Dioxide, use topical Antioxidants regularly, utilize hats, sun glasses and note a full series of IPL Photofacial™ treatments can last for a year or more.
Will the spots and redness reappear over time?
Over time new spots may appear if there is sufficient sun exposure; these too can be removed. Remember to liberally apply sunscreen when outdoors to minimize sun damage and the appearance of new spots and excessive redness.
Are patients satisfied with their IPL Photofacial™ results?
IPL Photofacial™ treatments are recognized for a high measure of patient satisfaction. Patients are very pleased with treatment results because the process treats the full face, neck, chest or hands, rather than addressing a single isolated area or imperfection.
CONDITION TREATED: Virtually any part of your body with uneven skin tone, diffuse redness, or sun and age spots can be safely treated. The face, chest, shoulders and arms are the most popular areas for IPL Photofacial™ treatment because they have typically had the most sun exposure. Discrete brown spots, excessively ruddy complexions and skin densely covered with freckles respond well to IPL Photofacial™ treatment as well.
RESULTS: Many patients see significant improvement within two to three weeks of your IPL Photofacial™ treatment. Your complexion will be more clear and younger looking. IPL Photofacial™ provides gradual, natural improvement with excellent long-term results. You will notice a reduction in redness, flushing and dilated capillaries and your skin will look healthier as sun damage, fine lines, pore size, freckling and irregular pigmentation is minimized. Results from a full series of IPL Photofacial™ treatments usually last for a year or more.
RECOVERY TIME: Immediately following an IPL Photofacial™ treatment, you may notice a slight reddening of the surrounding skin which typically subsides within a couple of hours. Signs of sun damage and age spots temporarily darken but over the course of the next one to three weeks, darkened spots will fade and flake off and your mottled complexion will clear.
TREAMTENT TIME: Each IPL Photofacial™ session usually lasts about 30 minutes, with patients returning to normal activity immediately afterwards.
TREATMENT FEQUENCY: On average, 4 to 6 IPL Photofacial™ treatments are recommended, scheduled as early as three-week intervals.
- No Accutane use for 12 months prior to treatment.
- Do not tan the areas being treated for 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Do not use self-tanning products for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Stop all Retin-A, Retinol, Renova, glycolics, bleaching creams, and exfoliants 1 week prior to treatment.
- The treatment area must be free of any open sores, lesions or skin infections. For treatment of pigmented skin lesions, you should consult a specialist if there is a family or personal history of skin cancer or if you have these concerns.
- Shave any hair present in the area to be treated. Men should shave the beard area twice in succession in order to ensure as close a shave as possible. Be aware that the light source may cause your hair to grow temporarily patchy.
- Gently wash the area to be treated, removing makeup, lotion, etc. Do not apply any creams, lotions or other products to the area except a topical anesthetic (if being used).
- If you have elected to use a topical anesthetic, do so only after reviewing all cautions associated with its use. Apply and use as directed prior to arrival.
- You cannot be pregnant or breast feeding to receive treatment.
- If you have a history of oral herpes, you must pre-treat with an anti-viral three days before your scheduled visit.
- You will have a mild sunburn sensation following treatment that is usually gone within a few hours. Skin redness, flaking, mild bruising and/or slight edema (swelling) is normal and may last a few days. Blistering is uncommon and when it occurs it is generally not serious. Pigmented areas may begin to darken and flake after a few days.
- Cold compresses (not ice) and recommended skin care products may be useful to reduce swelling or discomfort. You may takeover-the-counter pain or anti-inflammatory medication. Hydrocortisone(steroid) cream may decrease any itching or skin irritation. Antibiotic ointment (such as Neosporin) may be used if skin is broken, to prevent infection.
- Your skin will be sensitive for 2-3 days. Use gentle cleansers, but do not rub the skin vigorously and avoid hot water during this time. Skin moisturizers may be used immediately and makeup can be applied if the skin is not broken.
- It is important to avoid sun exposure and tanning creams between treatments. Use SPF 30 or greater on the treatment area at all times.
- The treatment area may be left open and uncovered. Do not scrub or exfoliate the area for 7 days. Do not use any products on the treated area without first consulting our staff.
- Avoid soaking for 24 to 48 hours. No hot tubs, whirlpools or baths, but showers are okay.
Avoid excessive sweating for 24 to 48 hours. No saunas or vigorous working out for 24 hours.
- Avoid irritants, such Retin-A, Retinol, Renova, glycolics, bleaching creams,and exfoliants for one week.
- Treated area will usually darken after treatments. Crusting of the skin can form. This crusting usually resolves in 1 to 3 weeks. Please allow to naturally flake off for best results.
In the rare case that you experience any blistering or scabbing, please call us as soon as possible. Contact us if you experience persistent or unusual redness, swelling or drainage, as antibiotics may be necessary.
- Do not apply makeup until redness has subsided.
- Avoid microdermabrasion and chemical peels one week after your treatment.
- Follow up treatments should be scheduled every 3-4 weeks.
- Consistent repeated treatments will produce best resolution for photo damage, fine lines, rosacea, etc.
- Hydro-dermabrasion and PCA Peel should be done in between your IPL and Laser Genesis treatments to enhance results.